By Bernie on 22 Feb 2007
Tomorrow the movie The Number 23 opens. In honor of that here are 13 things 23:
1) The Birthday Paradox: A favorite problem in elementary probability and statistics courses is the Birthday Problem: What is the probability that at least two of N randomly selected people have the same birthday? (Same month and day, but not necessarily the same year.)
A second part of the problem: How large must N be so that the probability is greater than 50 percent? The answer is 23, which strikes most people as unreasonably small. For this reason, the problem is often called the Birthday Paradox.
2) Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times although some editions of William Shakespeare's play mention 33 times.
3) Osama bin Laden issues fatwa requiring the killing of Americans, both civilian and military - Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders: World Islamic Front Statement 23 February 1998:
The Arabian Peninsula has never -- since Allah made it flat, created its desert, and encircled it with seas -- been stormed by any forces like the crusader armies spreading in it like locusts, eating its riches and wiping out its plantations. All this is happening at a time in which nations are attacking Muslims like people fighting over a plate of food. [snip] The ruling to kill the Americans and their allies -- civilians and military -- is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in any country in which it is possible to do it, in order to liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque and the holy mosque [Mecca] from their grip, and in order for their armies to move out of all the lands of Islam, defeated and unable to threaten any Muslim.
4) Solo and Skywalker break into Detention Block AA23 to rescue Princess Leia
5) Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the DNA of a child. and it is the 23rd chromosome that determines gender.
There may be a mathematical reason for his having the number 23: [Telegraph.co.uk] Beckham in his prime number, Excerpt: The key building blocks of Real Madrid's team are all prime numbers: Carlos, No 3; Zidane, No 5; Raul, No 7; Ronaldo, No 11. So giving Beckham the 23 shirt is a clear indication that Real's president, Florentino Pérez, is intending to build on Beckham.
7) February 23 1917 - First demonstrations in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The beginning of the February Revolution.
9) [Wiki] In Roman mythology, Terminus was the god of boundaries. The stones used to mark borders were sacred to him. On February 23, a festival called Terminalia was celebrated annually by the Romans in his honor. The stone boundary markers were drenched in sacrificial blood and placed on flowers to renew its protective powers.
12) ANNA NICOLE SMITH was planning to wed her partner/attorney on 23 February 2007
13) There's even a contest about the number 23.
This post was written at 2:22:07 PM on 2/22/07 Coincidence? I think not.
My Previous Posts on 666:
Mothers expect Damien on 06/06/06
Related articles on 23:
[Planck's Constant] Summer Poem, Excerpt: The smokes cost 23 cents and since the machines at that time had no way to give change, the manufacturers inserted two pennies in the bottom of the pack, between the cellophane and the paper wrapping. My mom would let me keep the two pennies for running the errand. Sometimes she would let me light her smokes for her. I wouldn't inhale but I thought it was so cool.... I started smoking when I was nine years old and I didn't quit until 23 years later in 1977.
[Cryptomudo] 23 Skidoo: Goodbye Robert Anton Wilson, Excerpt: Had RAW’s writings in the late 1970s impacted me? Well, let me just mention this one piece of my private life. When I married my second wife (now ex-) in 1980, after we both read Cosmic Trigger, we picked (to the strange surprise of our friends and families) a Friday. Why? Because we wanted to get married on May (2+3 = 5), 23rd, two 23s, in honor of Robert Anton Wilson’s book. You’ll have to read Cosmic Trigger to learn why the number 23 is important, although it is a thought that has drifted rather significantly into popular culture.
[problogger] 23 Ideas for Finding New Readers for Your Blog, Excerpt: Comment on Related Blogs - raising4boys writes - "Commenting on related blogs is probably the most effective strategy early on in the process. And responding to comments when people leave them on your blog (this encourages them to keep coming back).” And from Brody - "I visit other blogs in my niche, add them to my feed and participate in the discussion on their blogs via the comments. Writing interesting comments often gets people to click through to see your site.”
This has been a Thursday 13 post [# 19] and is updated on certain Thursdays.
Anyone may republish this article for non-commercial use without asking my permission. I make it easy, see details here.
comments powered by Disqus