By Bernie on 26 May 2009
A tip of the turban to Q and O for this bit of Fun With Statistics:
- The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
- Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
- Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171. (Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)
Now think about this…
- The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
- The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.
- The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188 [actually the number is 0.00001875 - Bernie].
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Before anyone gets their bandages in a twist, this is a humor post and I certainly do not want to ban doctors because of the use of statistics any more than I want to ban guns because of statistics. Certainly it can be shown that more Americans accidentally drown each year than are accidentally killed by guns. But so what? The cure is not banning but improving.
If we monitor annual deaths from bar-fights because someone insulted another, we could easily state that thousands each year are killed exercising their first amendment rights, so should we consider banning free speech? I see a few Liberal hands going up in the audience; yes, yes, I know you Obamaites cannot wait to ban free speech along with guns, see Death to All Offensive Bloggers.
Anyone may republish this article for non-commercial use without asking my permission. I make it easy, see details here.
comments powered by Disqus